Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Previews

Memorable Match: Norwich City 5-0 Huddersfield Town

6 April 2021

As Norwich City host Huddersfield in their first home fixture since the international break on Tuesday evening (7:45pm KO), we’re taking a look back on a historic win over the Terriers.

An early red card and all five goals coming in the second half, this game had Carrow Road rocking just over six years ago!

Norwich City 5-0 Huddersfield
December 13, 2014
Carrow Road

What was on the line?

Nearly halfway through the campaign with 20 games down, this was a match where both clubs were desperate for another three points. A win for City meant they could close the gap on a play-off spot, while victory for Huddersfield gave them comfortable distance on the relegation zone.

Norwich had only won a single game from the past eight at home, seeing them slip down the table as weeks went by, while Huddersfield had just beaten promotion hopefuls Brentford before their visit to Carrow Road.

How the game unfolded

The game didn’t take long to get heated when Murray Wallace was dismissed early on. Cameron Jerome pounced on a Terriers’ error in defence and Wallace responded by bringing the striker down just outside the box. The referee wasted no time in sending the defender off, leaving Huddersfield with ten-men for the remaining 70 minutes.

Despite the dismissal, the rest of the first half was a quiet one. No clear-cut sights of goal for either side left the first 45 minutes goalless which, as you can tell by the scoreline, meant an entertaining second-half was coming City’s way!

After the wait, Bradley Johnson found the opener less than a minute into the second-half. A neat passing move between Jonny Howson, Jerome and Gary Hooper cut through the Terriers’ defence, setting the midfielder up in front of goal with a tap-in for the lead.

Just two minutes later, that lead would be doubled after Martin Olsson’s textbook cross found Nathan Redmond at the far post. Redmond, who had spent just three minutes on the pitch, headed beautifully into the far corner for the second.

The flow of goals wouldn’t stop there, either! No more than three minutes later, the Canaries found their third when Jonny Howson’s would-be wonder volley was blocked by Jack Robinson, but only as far as Johnson who headed back into an open net.

After three goals in six minutes, Carrow Road finally had time to catch its breath as goal number four wouldn’t come for nearly 20 minutes but the stadium was bouncing all the same when it did.

In another textbook passage of play, Redmond’s cross found Hooper at the far post for the midfielder to cushion his header toward Jerome, who used his physicality to get past Terriers’ Mark Hudson and nod home for 4-0.

For City’s fifth and final goal, who else to assist it but Wes Hoolahan? The midfielder was substituted on in the 72nd minute, with Lewis Grabban following in the 76th. It took mere minutes for the two to get involved, Hoolahan’s perfectly weighted pass finding the forward in the box for him to smash past Smithies and wrap up the game.

What happened next?

City went on to have a historic season as they finished third in the Championship with 86 points, earning them a spot in the play-offs. The first round saw them take on local rivals Ipswich Town, with City coming out victorious after a 4-2 win over two legs.

In a memorable play-off final at Wembley, City cruised past Middlesbrough in a 2-0 win to earn promotion back to the Premier League.

For Huddersfield, a testing remainder of the season saw them struggle to pick up any momentum in terms of results, the Terriers’ going on to finish 16th in the Championship.

Advertisement block