Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Previews

Memorable match: Norwich City 3 Luton Town 2

5 March 2021

As Norwich City host Luton Town at Carrow Road on Saturday (3pm), we’ve taken a look back at a five-goal thriller from the start of the 2006/07 season.

It was a game where Norwich, looking to improve on their previous season’s finish of ninth, fell two goals behind to the Hatters but stormed back to win the game.

Norwich City 3-2 Barnsley
August 12, 2006
Carrow Road

What was on the line?

Only three games into the season, this was a match where both clubs were looking to put down a marker for what was going to be a successful campaign to improve on their finishes of ninth (Norwich) and tenth (Luton Town) the previous seasons.

Luton Town had won their opening two matches, against Leicester City and Sheffield Wednesday, while Norwich City had bounced back from an opening day defeat at Leeds United to record a 2-0 home win over Preston North End.

How the game unfolded

Luton Town opened the scoring with a stunning strike from Rowan Vine, but Norwich piled on the pressure in the first half and were unfortunate to be trailing at the break with Gary Doherty bringing a top class save out of Marlon Beresford in the Hatters’ goal.

The visitors were clinical in their finishing though and when Dean Morgan raced through on goal seven minutes after the restart he put Mike Newell’s side into a 2-0 lead.


However, then came the fightback. Darren Huckerby capitalised on a mistake by Sol Davis to pull a goal back on 57 minutes and then Lee Croft – a summer signing from Manchester City – levelled the scores with his first for the club.

And, with the rain lashing down in Norwich, when Beresford saved Dickson Etuhu shot, Robert Earnshaw was in the right place to fire home and complete the turnaround with 20 minutes still to play.

Norwich City XI: Gallacher, Colin (Fleming, 87), Shckell, Doherty, Drury, Croft (McVeigh 73), Etuhu, Safri, Robinson, Huckerby, Earnshaw (McKenzie 90)
Unused substitutes: Lewis, Thorne


What happened next?

Both sides continued their good starts to the campaign with Norwich second by the end of August and Luton Town fifth after 13 games. However, slumps in form cost both Nigel Worthington and Mike Newell their jobs and, while Norwich were able to secure their survival in the division with Peter Grant in charge, Luton with Kevin Blackwell at the helm were not and they were relegated to League One.

Advertisement block