Club Equality Statement
Norwich City Football Club (the “Club”) endorses the principle of equality and will strive to ensure that everyone who wishes to be involved in the Club whether as supporters, players, staff, Board members, Community Sports Foundation participants or other people engaged with the Club’s activities (for example, suppliers and corporate sponsors):
- has a genuine and equal opportunity to participate to the full extent of their own ambitions and abilities, without regard to their age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation; and
- can be assured of an environment in which their rights, dignity and individual worth are respected and, in particular, that they are able to enjoy their engagement at the Club without the threat of intimidation, victimisation, harassment, bullying and abuse.
The Club is committed to avoiding and eliminating unfair discrimination of any kind and will under no circumstances condone unlawful discriminatory practices. The Club takes a zero-tolerance approach to harassment, victimisation and bullying.
As well as complying with legislation, we have a duty to promote equality by taking positive steps to counteract the effects of physical or cultural barriers – whether real or perceived – that restrict the opportunity for all sections of the community to participate equally and fully.
The Club will therefore seek to introduce, support or contribute to appropriate measures or initiatives that enable access to our Club.
The following steps will be taken to publicise this statement and promote equality within the Club:
- A copy of this document will be published on the Club’s website.
- The Club’s Board will take overall accountability for ensuring that this Statement and the Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Policy is observed.
- The Club’s Board will take full account of this Statement and the Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Policy in arriving at all decisions in relation to activities of the Club.
- The Club will implement regular audits, surveys or other initiatives designed to assess the level of participation of different sections of the community in the Club and will take account of the findings in developing measures to promote and enhance equality in the Club.
- The Club will create training opportunities within the Club to raise awareness of both collective and individual responsibilities.
- It will be a condition of working with the Club that suppliers act in accordance with the Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Policy and that they support such measures and initiatives that the Club may institute or take part in to advance the aims of this policy.
Responsibility, Monitoring and Evaluation
The Club’s Board will be accountable for ensuring the implementation of the Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Policy. The Executive Committee will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the policy in the Club.
The Executive Committee will review Club activities and initiatives against the aims of the Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Policy and will report formally on this issue to the Board annually.
The Executive Committee will review any measures or initiatives that the Club may introduce or take part in to promote and enhance equality in the Club, including the formation of an External Advisory Group, and will report their findings annually to the Board.
The Club’s Board will review the Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Policy at intervals of no more than three years (or when necessary due to changes in legislation), in line with the policy review process.
Complaints and compliance
The Club considers all forms of unlawful discriminatory behaviour as unacceptable and is committed to ensuring individuals feel able to raise any bona fide grievance or complaint related to such behaviour without fear of being penalised for doing so. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken against any supporters, players, staff, Board members, Community Sports Foundation participants or other people engaged with the Club’s activities who violate the Club’s Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Policy.
Any person who believes that he or she has been treated in a way that they consider to be in breach of the Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Policy should raise the matter to that person in the first instance. If this does not resolve the issue, or in the case of allegations of unlawful discrimination against the Club itself, the person may raise the matter by writing directly to the Head of Safeguarding.
Alternatively, the matter may be raised through the following means:
- by emailing the Club at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- via kickitout.org;
- via the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion page at www.canaries.co.uk;
- via SMS by texting REPORT and your message to 80011.
The Club will appoint a person to investigate each complaint. The investigation will be conducted impartially, confidentially, and without avoidable delay. Any person against whom a complaint has been made will be informed of what is alleged and be given the opportunity to present their side of the matter.
The parties in question will be notified of the outcome of the investigation, in writing, and the outcome will be reported to the Club’s Board. If the investigation reveals unacceptable discriminatory behaviour on the part of a person or organisation the Club may impose sanctions on that person or organisation in line with its policies. Sanctions may range from a written reminder concerning future conduct extending to temporary or permanent expulsion from Club activities. In deciding what sanction is appropriate in a particular case, the Club’s Board or Executive Committee (as appropriate) will consider the severity of the matter and take into account any mitigating circumstances.
Where the violation of the Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Policy by way of harassment, victimisation or discrimination amounts to a criminal offence, the appropriate authority will be informed.
In the event that an individual or organisation associated with the Club is subject to allegations of unlawful discrimination in a court or tribunal, the Club will co-operate fully with any investigation carried out by the relevant lawful authorities and, subject to the outcome, may consider taking action as above in relation to the matter concerned.
Adopted by Norwich City Football Club Board - Feb 2020