Defeat for City youngsters at Colney

NORWICH City’s Under-18s were beaten 3-0 by Everton at Colney on Saturday morning as focus now switches to Wednesday’s FA Youth Cup clash with Queens Park Rangers at Carrow Road.

With a number of scholars rested or away with the under-21s, a young Canaries side were unable to break down a stubborn Everton defence at Colney, who after Gethin Jones gave them an early lead, sealed the win with a second half brace from Callum Dyson.

The Canaries threatened with Cameron Norman and Rian Carroll having efforts, but the visitors held on for what was a well-deserved victory in the end, with a much-changed City now preparing to take on QPR on Wednesday night in the third round of the FA Youth Cup.

Coach Neil Adams told Canaries Player afterwards (watch the full interview here): “I was pleased with some of the individual performances from the lads, but I can have no complaints about the result.

“I thought Everton had more desire than us today which is a little bit disappointing, because I think that leads to quality football.

“We tried to rest a few players today with the FA Youth Cup game around the corner on Wednesday, and obviously the development squad play on Sunday. 

“It does leave us restricted but it gives the young players an opportunity and there were some good performances today, which is pleasing because some of them will be joining us as full-time scholars next year.

“I thought the second goal in the game was always going to be crucial – Everton got it and then we were chasing the game, and they were comfortable winners to be fair to them.”

City started the game fairly brightly, with striker Dominc Saint Louis harrying the Everton defence in the opening stages, however it was the Toffees who struck first through Jones.

The Everton number seven was in the right place at the right time to head a right wing corner past City ‘keeper Joe Gill in the 14th minute and make it 1-0.

In a scrappy half, City showed flashes of quality without really being able to test Everton stopper Russell Griffiths, whilst at the other end Dyson headed onto the crossbar as the game drifted towards 45 minutes.

HALF-TIME: Norwich City Under-18s 0, Everton Under-18s 1

Again, Adams’ side started the half the brighter of the two sides with the wind behind them, but after Saint Louis dispossessed Tyrone Duffus, Roderick Young’s angled drive was deflected wide for a corner.

City’s Rhys Browne then saw a left-footed effort saved before Dyson’s first-time finish from Ben McLaughlin’s cross gave Gill no chance and doubled the visitor’s lead on 62 minutes.

With 20 minutes left on the clock Carroll’s 30-yard blockbuster was tipped acrobatically over the crossbar by Griffiths.

However Everton put the result beyond any doubt in the 77th minute when Dyson grabbed a second, nipping in at the far post to make sure Harry Charsley’s driven shot found the back of the net.

FULL-TIME: Norwich City Under-18s 0, Everton Under-18s 3

CITY: Gill, Carroll, Grant, Hayden, Fox, Lokko, Norman, Young, Saint Louis (Peacock 55), Sarmento (Sweeney 74), Browne
SUBS NOT USED: Wyatt, Oxborough, Hodd

EVERTON: Griffiths, Duffus, Johns, Kenny, Langton, Molyneux, Jones, Williams, Wring, Charsley, Dyson
SUBS: McLaughlin, Thornley, Newell, Davies, Connolly

More Club

Principal Partners


Primary Partners

war paint
Alan boswell
Partner Name
Fosters solicitors LLP
Tampa bay
WoodForde's Brewery
Partner Name
FCI Currency
Partner Name
Partner Name
Partner Name
Partner Name
Partner Name