Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 17:30 (UK)

27 June 2020 Venue Carrow Road Attendance

Kick off 17:30 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

City bow out of FA Cup after late heartbreak

27 June 2020

A late Harry Maguire strike in extra-time broke Norwich City hearts as they were knocked out of the FA Cup at the quarter-final stage by Manchester United.

The Canaries forced extra-time when Todd Cantwell found the bottom corner on 76 minutes, cancelling out Odion Ighalo's opener 25 minutes earlier.

City had to play extra-time with ten men after Timm Klose was sent off at the death and they almost navigated the additional 30 minutes to their second successive penalty shootout in the competition.

However, Maguire stabbed home from close range to send United through and leave the Canaries to focus on Premier League survival.

Daniel Farke made three changes to the starting elven which began the defeat to Everton on Wednesday evening. He restored Todd Cantwell, Emi Buendia and Teemu Pukki to the side, with Onel Hernandez, Josip Drmic and Ondrej Duda dropping to the bench.

The start to the match was tame with neither side able to create anything to threaten the scoreline. Trickery at either end from Cantwell and Lingard almost brought some goalmouth action but both defences stood firm.

As is customary in games post-lockdown, there is a drinks break midway through either half. The first one came on 24 minutes and succeeded the only shot from the opening period – Max Aarons letting fly from 25 yards and seeing a hopeful effort blaze high and wide.

After the brief interval, City started to get more joy in the final third and tenacious Buendia work on 30 minutes saw them win the ball and counter at pace. McLean picked up the loose ball and surged forward but could only fire over from a central position.

As the game looked like petering out to half-time, the Canaries almost took the lead on 44 minutes. Cantwell got to the byline and cut the ball back to Rupp in space in the area, however Harry Maguire did well to intervene with United ‘keeper Sergio Romero looked certain to be tested. City recycled the ball and it eventually found Buendia in the area but he, too, was thwarted by a red shirt.

It was City who walked down the tunnel certainly disappointed that the scores were still level.

The Canaries were hit by a suckerpunch at the start of the second-half. They failed to clear a Luke Shaw cross from the left and the ball was left on a plate for Ighalo to divert past Tim Krul for the game's first goal.

Farke rolled the dice shortly after that opener, introducing Onel Hernandez for Rupp on 63 minutes and Josip Drmic for Teemu Pukki on 70 minutes.

Sandwiched between the alterations was a guilt edged opportunity for the home side. A teasing Buendia free-kick caused havoc in the United penalty area and a Alex Tettey flick on looked certain to level the scores but Ben Godfrey inadvertently blocked the ball on the line.

The changes from Farke eventuallty reaped rewards as on 76 minutes, Hernandez shuffled inside and found Buendia who then moved the ball to Cantwell. The midfielder took a step before unleashing a strike arrowing into the bottom corner to level affairs.

City were buoyant and they looked a threat every time they came forward. Substitute Drmic weaved his way into the penalty area with ten minutes to go and teed Buendia but the Argentine sent a effort milimetres wide of the far post.

City's hopes of forcing extra-time and potentially a winner were dealt a blow on 89 minutes when Timm Klose was shown a red card for a tug on Ighalo. However, United failed to make the extra man count in stoppage time with City producing a number of inspired interventions to send the game into extra-time.

It was going to be a backs to the wall job for City in extra-time and United signalled their intent within moments of the restart. Fernandes's effort took a deflection and Ighalo almost diverted the ball acrobatically past Krul. Luckily for City, the ball whistled wide.

Indeed, United dominated the ball in the first-half of extra-time and went mightily close to regaining the lead on the stroke of half-time when Rashford's deep cross almost found Anthony Martial at the back post, but the Frenchman fluffed his lines.

The pressure continued into the second period and Krul produced another moment of brilliance to claw Maguire's goalbound away on 111 minutes to keep the scores level.

Fernandes then tested Krul's reflexes minutes laters from distance - the City stopper inspired by the cup once again.

The pressure finally paid though for United as on 118 minutes, Maguire scrambled a loose ball home to send them through to the semi-finals.

Norwich: Krul (GK), Aarons, Godfrey, Rupp (Hernandez, 62), Lewis (Idah, 118), Cantwell (Trybull, 90), Klose, Buendia (Duda, 91), Pukki (Drmic, 71), McLean, Tettey (c)
Subs not used: McGovern (GK), Vrancic, Leitner, Stiepermann
Goals: Cantwell (76)
Red card:
Klose (89)

Man Utd: Romero, Bailly (Martial, 96), Maguire (c), Mata (Greenwood, 62), Lingard (Rashford, 62), Fred (Matic, 78), Fernandes, Dalot (Williams, 62), Shaw, Ighalo, McTominay (Pogba, 78)
Subs not used: De Gea (GK), Pereira, Fosu-Mensah
Goals: Ighalo (51)


Advertisement block

Advertisement block