Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

06 April 2019 Venue Bisham Abbey National Sports Centre Attendance

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Swansea City U18
6 - 0
Norwich City U18

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Under-18s beaten against Swansea at Bisham Abbey

6 April 2019

Norwich City’s Under-18s lost against Swansea City in the Under-18s Premier League at Bisham Abbey on Saturday afternoon.

Swansea City got off on the front-foot after Ali Al-Hamadi found the bottom right hand corner 13 minutes into the game. The game became scrappy as the half went on, with both sides struggling to gain any momentum and failing to create any clear-cut chances.

Despite starting off the second half positively, City struggled in the last 20 minutes of the match with Swansea finding the net five times before the full-time whistle.

Joe Rose started in-goal for the Canaries replacing Daniel Barden who kept a clean sheet against Chelsea last time out. Ethen Vaughan started in his usual right-back position with Atli Barkarson starting on the left. Captain Zach Dronfield partnered Ante Berkeley at the heart of the City defence.

Tony Springett started on the right-hand side of midfield whilst Deese Madia started on the opposite side. Denzelle Olopade and Nelson Khumbeni started alongside each other for the second time in succession. Josh Martin joined Tom Dickson-Peters up-top for the Canaries.

The home side had the better of the opening five minutes when Ali Al-Hamadi was sent through on-goal, but the striker couldn’t find a way past Rose who denied the forward with a splendid save with his legs.

Three minutes later saw a replica of the first Swansea chance, but this time Al-Hamadi made no mistake and placed the ball into the bottom right corner giving the City ‘keeper no chance putting Swansea a goal up.

The Swans continued their pressure on the City goal, getting themselves another shot on-target 18 minutes in. However Daniel Williams’ shot from around 30-yards out was caught with ease by the Norwich ‘keeper.

As the half went on, the game became scrappy with neither side able to gain any real momentum with chances few and far between. The closest City came was when Springett passed to Madia before the midfielder took a touch and floated the ball to the back post but Alex Rutter collected and caught the ball.

City were looking to get Martin and Dickson-Peters on the ball at the end of the half, but City went into the break a goal down without creating any real opening to get back into the game.

Swansea started on the front foot in the second half and nearly found a second three minutes into the half when Josh Thomas’ close range volley looked to be destined for the back of the net, however Rose produced a fine stop to put the substitutes shot over the bar.

Ten minutes into the second period City started to try and get on the ball more in search of a goal, and their pressure was very nearly rewarded when Dickson-Peters’ free-kick forced Rutter into a smart diving save to his left.                                                                        

With 30 minutes of the game still remaining, Norwich started to look increasingly more dangerous in the final third. Olopade received the ball with his back to goal before he found some space and rifled a shot narrowly over the Swansea crossbar.

70 minutes into the game Swansea scored three goals inside three minutes despite some earlier pressure in the half from Norwich. The first came when Williams’ toe poke edged its way towards goal which then saw Swansea awarded a goal. Despite complaints from a number of City players, the ball was judged to have crossed the line.

Moments later, Euans got onto the end of a cross from the right before smashing the ball past Rose and into the back of the net. The hectic three minutes was rounded off when the Swans were awarded a penalty which was put in by Tivonse Rushesha.

Euans found the net once again in the 88th minute to cap of a clincal second half for the home side, with the scoreline harsh on City.

City starting XI: Rose; Vaughan, Berkeley, Dronfield ©, Barkarson (Ahmadi 13), Olopade, Khumbeni, Springett, Madia (Omotoye 64), Dickson-Peters, Martin

Unused Subs: Richardson, Barden (GK), Lambert

Advertisement block

Advertisement block